Ontario Walks Back U.S. Electricity Surtax After Trump Threats episode artwork

EPISODE · Mar 15, 2025 · 7 MIN

Ontario Walks Back U.S. Electricity Surtax After Trump Threats

from America's Talking · host The Center Square

(The Center Square) – Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Tuesday he would suspend the province's 25% tariff on U.S.-bound electricity after getting a meeting with U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and hours after President Donald Trump threatened to double tariffs on Canada. Ford previously said Tuesday he wouldn't budge on the electricity surtax until Trump dropped his tariff threats. Hours later, he changed course after scheduling a meeting Thursday with Lutnick and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. "I'm not out to hurt the American people,” Ford told reporters in Toronto. "Sometimes you have to play your cards, and this is one of the cards we played, and hopefully we're going to have a very good constructive conversation." Ford reversed course hours after Trump said that he would double tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum in response to the 25% tariffs Ontario put on electricity going to the U.S. Trump said the tariffs would cripple Canada's auto industry.Support this podcast: https://secure.anedot.com/franklin-news-foundation/ce052532-b1e4-41c4-945c-d7ce2f52c38a?source_code=xxxxxxFull story: https://www.thecentersquare.com/national/article_89c85228-fea7-11ef-a8f0-1320f3e7e4bc.html Hosted by Simplecast, an AdsWizz company. See pcm.adswizz.com for information about our collection and use of personal data for advertising.

Episode metadata supplied by the publisher feed · Published Mar 15, 2025

Embed this episode

(The Center Square) – Ontario Premier Doug Ford said Tuesday he would suspend the province's 25% tariff on U.S.-bound electricity after getting a meeting with U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick and hours after President Donald Trump threatened to double tariffs on Canada. Ford previously said Tuesday he wouldn't budge on the electricity surtax until Trump dropped his tariff threats. Hours later, he changed course after scheduling a meeting Thursday with Lutnick and U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer. "I'm not out to hurt the American people,” Ford told reporters in Toronto. "Sometimes you have to play your cards, and this is one of the cards we played, and hopefully we're going to have a very good constructive conversation." Ford reversed course hours after Trump said that he would double tariffs on Canadian steel and aluminum in response to the 25% tariffs Ontario put on electricity going to the U.S. Trump said the tariffs would cripple Canada's auto industry.

Distinct summary based on available episode metadata or transcript content.

NOW PLAYING

Ontario Walks Back U.S. Electricity Surtax After Trump Threats

0:00 7:06

No transcript for this episode yet

We transcribe on demand. Request one and we'll notify you when it's ready — usually under 10 minutes.

No similar episodes found.

No similar podcasts found.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is this episode of America's Talking?

This episode is 7 minutes long.

When was this America's Talking episode published?

This episode was published on March 15, 2025.

Can I download this America's Talking episode?

Yes. Use the download control on the episode player to save the publisher-provided media file.
URL copied to clipboard!